Thursday, February 9, 2012

An Assortment of Mixed Nuggets

Every day, I sit at my desk at my temp job, thinking, hey, I don't have to do this for much longer. And then I think about a few other things, namely:

How much I adore the Val Jean quartet from the 25th anniversary concert. I mean, I listen to it about 5+ times a day. Never gets old somehow. I grew up listening to the Colm Wilkinson version, but to hear all these amazing singers together? Heaven.

How in the world am I going to handle my commute to my new job? It's a little far for easy access - over an hour by public transport and well over an hour driving due to traffic. Luckily, I don't start til nine, so that's not the end of the world, but either way, I'm not looking forward to that.

What an awesome website The Selby is. I know I already posted another apartment from here on facebook, but I may adore this one even more: http://theselby.com/2_14_11_OttoSander/

How did I eat that roast chicken so quickly last night? I mean, yeah, I was starving, but still, I think I broke some world records. Not that I'm complaining. I feel like a champ and it was delicious.

What the heck are canapes? Every time I read a '50s espionage novel (yeah, I read a lot of those), they pop up like daisies. Apparently they were a necessary part of the milieu at posh cocktail parties - like dry martinis and your favorite fish appetizer (myself, I prefer a good shrimp cocktail to smoked salmon). I've identified several verbs used in connection with them - they can be both "spread around" and "passed around". So are they a food? Napkins? Some sort of flashy party favor? You see, I've yet to find anyone actually using or eating one - they just seem to be shared about the party and then they disappear from the narrative. Now, drum roll please, I'm about to look them up:
"A canapé (Spanish/French for couch and known in Italy as tartina) is a small, prepared and usually decorative food, held in the fingers and often eaten in one bite" (Thanks, Google).
So they're not an actual thing then, simply a category. Ah, that makes so many confusing cold war cocktail parties suddenly so much clearer. My world has at last been righted, and while I feel slightly idiotic for not having figured it out without Google's almighty power, I suppose that's just one of those gaps in obvious knowledge that everyone (I hope) has.

One more thing - it blows my mind what a difference 7 hours of sleep makes compared to 5. I have got to start doing that every night.

Well, that's it I guess. Told you this would be wordy and rather un-inspiring . . . :)

1 comment:

  1. You've gotten me addicted to the Valjean quartet as well! I've listened to this song like 15 times already. In my opinion, the rest of the 25th anniversary songs did not get close to the music quality. Nick Jonas as Mauris was laughable since he did not have as strong a voice as needed for the role. But I applaud casting Matt Lucas as Monsieur Thénardier! Perfect!!

    ReplyDelete